Saturday, December 22, 2007

Butter nut balls

Butter Nut Balls by Alisha

1 cup soft butter or margarine (I use spread, because I didn't feel like waiting on the butter to soften today!! it works just a great)
1/2 cup confectioners sugar (recipe calls for it to be sifted, but heh... I don't...)
2 tsps vanilla extract
2 cups sifted (or not!! I'm lazy!) all purpose OR unbleached flour
1 cup finely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
1/8 tsp salt

1/4 cup (I use a bit more than this, but don't measure) more confectioners sugar...for rolling the cookies in.

Beat butter and sugar togehter in medium mixing bowl until creamy. Add salt, vanilla, flour and nuts. Mix until well mixed.. .Shape dough into 1 inch balls, and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 12-14 minutes or until light golden brown. Roll in sugar while still warm, and then roll again when they have cooled.

This recipe is one my mother and grandmother always used... these have been a tradition in our family.. They HAVE to be there every christmas! : ) Even though they have sugar coated on them, they really aren't an overly sweet cookie, which is nice. It says it makes 36-40 cookies, but I always get about 45-50 of them. Well, it made 45 of them, and I got the 50 from if we didn't eat the dough! LOL We seem to love cookie dough in all forms around here! and since this one doesn't have an egg in it........... : ) it gets eaten in hefty bites! LOL

Are any of you willing to give it a try?

0 comments: