Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Breakfast Cookie

From A Bakers Dozen.....

I came up with this recipe as a way to help with hectic mornings. I had a vision of a "breakfast cookie" that my children would love. Something that had enough wholesome ingredients that I could feel good about giving it to them. These freeze well. Just fill a ziplock bag with cooled cookies and pop them in the freezer. Pull out the night before and serve with a glass of milk.

Feel free to adjust the ingredients. Fresh ground wheat works well. You can add more nuts and seeds and use less sugar. Think of this as the foundation of the cookie and make any adjustments you see fit.

I make these cookies large and serve with a glass of milk.

Breakfast Cookies:

Cream 1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup peanut butter (I like Adam's- no sugar)
2 cups sugar (white or brown)

add 4 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup milk

combine seperately
3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups oats
3/4 cup sunflower seeds

combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix very well. Spoon onto cookie sheet. These have more of a cake texture and will not spread out much during baking. I like to make them big, since they are breakfast cookies.

Bake at 350 for 12 minutes, or until done.

Stand back and enjoy your children's astonished looks as you serve milk cookies for breakfast!

0 comments: